Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Batman: Dark Allegiances

Batman: Dark Allegiances
1996

Dark Allegiances
by Howard Chaykin, Ken Bruzenak 

Batman, in the late 1930s, fights the Klan. Bruce Wayne romances actress Kitty Grimalkin unaware that she has been blackmailed into finding some dirt with which he can be blackmailed. They travel cross country by train. Wayne picks up a custom made car in Detroit. 

Adolf Hitler travels to the United States to meet with Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Wayne and Grimalkin happen to be at the same party and also meet Hitler. Kitty turns out to also have a costumed identity, as Catwoman. Batman and Catwoman team up and disrupt the plans of some homegrown fascists.

Thoughts

There are also characters who look like Joker, Penguin, and Two-Face in this story. 

Hitler and Roosevelt never met in the real world. I’m not sure what the point was of having them meet in this story. 

I'm not crazy about the cover for this one-shot. It reminds me a bit of the statue of Abraham Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial but the story itself does not.

This feels half-baked. It ends abruptly and includes weirdness that doesn’t seem to go anywhere. I can imagine various reasons why but I’m not sure if one or more of my theories explains what actually happened. I recommend passing unless you feel that you must read every Batman and/or Chaykin story.

No comments:

Post a Comment