1987
by Mike W. Barr, Jerry Bingham, John Costanza
Batman works with Ra’s Al Ghul and Talia, his daughter, to stop Qayin, a terrorist whose parents once worked for Ra’s. Qayin blames Ra’s for his parents death but Quyin himself is responsible for the death of Melisande, Ra’s wife and Talia’s mother.
Batman moves in to Ra’s secret headquarters, he and Talia are married, and not longer after that get pregnant. Qayin moves forward with his plan to wreck havoc by taking over a US satellite that can control the weather.
This story is beautifully illustrated. I very much like the visual storytelling.
I take issue with the way Batman goes along with Ra’s plans and abandons Gotham City. That seemed odd to me and there is very little provided in the way of explanation. He doesn’t agree with everything that Ra’s does, he voices his disapproval at times, but he goes along with quite a bit of it. He is in love with Talia but that part of the story seems cool and lacking in passion.
I’m not terribly impressed with the villain, Qayin. He seems very one-dimensional. His only motivation seems to be the desire for revenge. He doesn’t seem very real.
I wish I had something good to say about the content of the story but other than the visuals I was not impressed by this story. I don’t regret reading it as it is one of the more highly regarded Batman stories and I had not read it before.

No comments:
Post a Comment