Jan 1974
Return from the Grave!
by Marv Wolfman, Gene Colan, Tom Palmer, Artie Simek, Roy Thomas
Dracula crosses paths with a skeleton while he (Dracula) is hunting future victims. The skeleton murders a couple people. Inspector Chelm is called to investigate the case. He consults briefly with Quincy Harker over the phone but Harker has to interest in the case. Harker doesn’t believe the case has nothing to do with Dracula. Chelm moves on and solves the case without any help from Harker.
There is a brief one page interlude, in the midst of this story. Dr. Sun makes his first appearance in this interlude but he doesn’t actually show his face. Only his voice is heard. His servants showed up in interludes like this one starting in Tomb of Dracula 13 (Oct 1973).
I found this story to be a little confusing. I didn’t quite get what was happening as I was reading it for the first time. Going back to read it again I still found the story to be a bit of a head scratcher. None of the character interactions seemed to rise above the level of typical monster films.
Notes
Inspector Chelm first appeared in Tomb of Dracula 3 (Jul 1972). He also appeared in Tomb of Dracula 6 (Jan 1973). This is his third appearance but it’s the first one in a story written by Marv Wolfman.

No comments:
Post a Comment