Iron Man (1968) 108
Mar 1978
Growing Pains!
by Bill Mantlo, Carmine Infantino, Bob Wiacek
Iron Man Man feels helpless to restore his friends who were turned to gold by Midas. Yellow Jacket and Jack of Hearts work together in what is left of a Stark Industries lab to try and restore the statue-like friends of Shell Head while the armored Avenger battles the Growing Man. Every time Iron Man hits him he grows more. Eventually he gets so big that Iron Man is able break into his head and cause him to self destruct or something like that.
I’m surprised by how much I like the art in this issue. I’m not usually a fan of the way Carmine Infantino draws. It may be the inks by Bob Wiacek that make the diffence for me. The story isn’t great but I’m enjoying the ride. Probably the most disappointing part of this run of Iron Man is how little his supporting cast, namely Jack of Hearts and Madame Masque, are given to do.
Growing Man is a robot that was created by Kang. This is just his third appearance. His previous appearances were in Thor 140 (May 1967) and Avengers 69 (Oct 1969), alongside his creator. He also appears in Iron Man 109 but after that isn't seen again until Avengers 268 (Jun 1986)

No comments:
Post a Comment