Selina's Big Score
by Darwyn Cooke
Book One: Selina
Selina Kyle (aka Catwoman) returns to Gotham City. She’s short on cash and looking to score big. She hooks up with a couple other folks who have a scheme to rob the Falcone family. Her partners in the job are Swifty, Chantel, and Stark. Swifty is a pawn broker who probably has a criminal past. Chantel is the girlfriend of Frank Falcone and the one with the inside information on the location of the money. Stark is a tough guy from Selina’s past.
So far it seems like the prototype for the Parker graphic novels that Cooke later adapted from prose novels. The first chapter doesn’t feel quite as self-serious as those books. Hopefully the rest of the book will follow suit. For the most part I like it. I thought the moment when Selina recognizes the comment that Chantel makes was a bit too on the nose. She recognizes it as being one that she heard Stark make years before when she first met him. I’m not sure why Cooke is putting such emphasis on this comment. Maybe this is foreshadowing that Chantel (and maybe Stark, too) are going to turn on her? What kind of heist story can it be without at least one double cross?
I can’t argue with the art. It is very likable. I especially like the use of lots of small panels to set the tone and tell the story.

No comments:
Post a Comment