Apr 1972
Night of the Vampire!
by Gerry Conway, Gene Colan, John Costanza, Morrie Kuramoto
Frank Drake, Jeanie (his girlfriend), and Clifton Graves (his best friend) travel to Transylvania to take possession of Castle Dracula. Frank, whose family name was originally Dracula, is descended from Count Dracula. He hopes to be able to capitalize on his ancestor’s notorious legend.
Frank’s quest is complicated by Clifton who resents Frank for stealing Jeanie away from him. Frank’s quest is further complicated by Clifton when his actions lead to the revival of Count Dracula.
This was a fun read and was beautifully illustrated by Gene Colan. It followed a familiar formula but I enjoyed it despite this fact. Frank is the main character in this issue. I’m not sure if that will be the case for much longer.
This was my first time reading this story. I’ve only read a couple of issues of Tomb of Dracula prior to now and this was my first time reading this issue. I’m not sure where things go from here. I’m not sure how much continuity there will be in this series, especially across the first six issues which were collectively written by three different writers.
I wish I was able to read this series in the original comic books but unfortunately I don’t own any of them and the back issues can be quite pricey these days. I have settled for buying the masterworks and reading them that way.

No comments:
Post a Comment