The Killing Night
By Paul Grist
Oct 2000
I'm a little confused but I'm still enjoying the book. Betsy Braddock finds Jack Staff and Sgt States but then a vampire finds her. He kills her, or so it seems. The two flag wearing heroes go looking for her.
The vampire hunter, Albert Bramble, shows up at the morgue, ready to drive a stake through Betsy's heart. In flashback, Albert's origin story is told. He met Jack Staff and Sgt States when he was just a boy. His mother had been killed by a vampire, Templar Richard. He saved Jack Staff's life when the vampire was about to bite him. Templar Richard was killed by a falling stalagmite. Now I am left wondering who the vampire is in the present. Is it Templar Richard? If it is then how is that possible?
I really wish this book had clear demarcations where one issue ended and the next one began. A fun read either way.
---
I bought the collected edition that includes all 12 of the black and white issues of Jack Staff. It is a little easier to tell in this version where one issue ends and the next begins.
---
Betsy wakes up and stops Albert Bramble from driving a stake through her heart. Albert's son is there with him. Albert and his son argue over how to deal with Betsy now that she had been bit. His son's judgment might be clouded by a romantic interest in Betsy.
The trio returns to the Bramble home. Betsy sees a picture of young Albert with Sgt States. She's believes that he's the one who killed her.
Jack Staff and Sgt States return to the cavern where Templar Richard was killed years before. They find the body of the vampire just where it was left in 1940. Jack is confused. Sgt States is not as he reveals himself to be a vampire.
So glad I read a little more after figuring out where the issue ended. This ending is a cliffhanger but so much more satisfying. I can't say enough good things about this series. I'm really loving it.
4/25
Comic Book DB: http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=99014

No comments:
Post a Comment