Today... the Terminator!
by Marv Wolfman, George Perez, Romeo Tanghal
Dec 1980
H.I.V.E. wants to hire Deathstroke, the Terminator, but they refuse to pay him in advance. They test him and use what they find to duplicate his powers. They endow Grant Wilson (later revealed to be his son) and send him to kill the Teen Titans. He idolized the Terminator and uses the code name Ravager.
Based on what happened in the previous issue it seems like H.I.V.E. (Hierarchy of International Vengeance and Eliminations) must be the organization that Grant alluded to when he was caring for Princess Koriand'r. Best I can figure, Grant is a bit unbalanced mentally. I cannot think of any other explanation for why he hates the Titans so much. He is angry about losing his girlfriend, Carol, who dumped him and there might be more back story that has yet to be revealed.
Starfire still doesn't speak any human languages. They name her Starfire because of the bolts she is able to shoot from her hands. She gains the ability to speak English after she kisses Robin, midway through the issue.
Interesting to note that the team is frequently referred to as the New Titans, rather than the Teen Titans or New Teen Titans. I wonder why? I wonder if that will change?
Ravager attacks Cyborg while he is working with his father at S.T.A.R. Labs to analyze an android that the Titans captured earlier in the issue. Cyborg has Ravager on the ropes until Deathstroke shows up. Deathstroke takes Ravager back to his apartment. He warns Grant Wilson about using the power he has been given. He does not reveal that he is his father.
There is an interlude that shows Raven talking to someone. She begs for forgiveness. Her plea is rebuffed by the unknown person to whom she speaks. I am fairly certain that this will turn out to be her father, Trigon.
Cyborg goes to get the other Titans who are hanging out by the pool at Changeling's home. Ravager and Deathstroke attack. Ravager doesn't follow Deathstroke's advice and uses his power very liberally. He ends up burning up, it looks like he ages very rapidly as he dies. Deathstroke takes his son's body and leaves. He blames the Teen Titans for the death.
In the one page epilogue, H.I.V.E. watches Deathstroke, who in turn (with his assistant, Wintergreen) is watching Carol (still no last name) at Grant's grave. They seem satisfied that they have him now: he will work for them. If I remember correctly this is a thread that won't get picked up again until the Judas Contract arc, three-and-a-half years later. According to his gravestone Grant was 19, born in 1960.
There is a whole lot of bits and pieces in this issue. It is on a level with the work being done by Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen in Legion of Super-Heroes in stories like the Great Darkness Saga.
4/19
GCD: https://www.comics.org/issue/34896/

No comments:
Post a Comment