Saturday, October 7, 2017

Damned 1

Damned 1
Jun 1997

Mick Thorne / Day 1447
By Steven Grant, Mike Zeck

Mick Thorne gets out of prison after serving 4 years for murder. He made a promise to Doug Orton, his cell mate, who is now dead. Mick intends to honor that promise but there are a lot of people out to stop him.

The chapter opens with Mick getting out of prison and meeting Farage, his parole officer. He moves to a small town and takes a job working in a diner. Against orders from Farage he makes a trip to the big city (New Covenant) looking for Orton's sister. He has a message for her. He he is approached by a gang led by a man named Yargo. They are looking for some money that Orton had. Mick gets beat up when he refuses to cooperate with them. They almost kill him but he escapes. The chapter ends with him collapsing in an alley way.

I like the look of the book. It has a rougher feel to it than Zeck's work with John Beatty on Captain America did but it works for a story like this.

I bought the mini-series and first read it about 12-15 years ago. This time around I am reading it digitally. I pulled out my print copy of the first issue to read the "letters" page. Unlike the digital collected edition, there is a bit more in the way of notes from Grant and Zeck about what they were up to and how the series came to be.

So far I'm enjoying it. It isn't great but I plan to read all four chapters of the story. If I have any complaint it is that the main character (and he isn't alone in this regard) doesn't seem terribly deep in terms of personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment