Doom Patrol (1964) 113
Aug 1967
Who Dares to Challenge the Arsenal
by Arnold Drake, Bruno Premiani
Robotman, Elasti-Girl, and Negative Man battle a robotic villain, the Arsenal. The Chief tries to cure Madame Rouge of her evil ways using high tech devices and without telling her what he is up to. Once again this seems creepy and invasive. The only added twist is that the Brain and Monsieur Mallah discover what the Chief is up to and do what they can to keep her on their side, also by using high tech devices without telling Madame Rouge.
The Diamonds of Destiny
by Arnold Drake, Bruno Premiani
Young Garfield Logan tries to survive in Africa on his own. The village witch doctor has other ideas and hires a couple of European men to kill Gar.
---
That's it for the 4th of 5 volumes of the Silver Age adventures of the Doom Patrol. What stands out about this collection of stories is the move to long form story telling. Each issue of the comic book has its own arc but there are also some ongoing story threads flowing through this collection. The first is the custody fight for Garfield Logan (Beast Boy) and the second (which isn't resolved in this collection) is the ongoing story of the Chief and Madame Rouge. Both stories show potential but neither of them is a great story. The best moments are still the comedic ones.
I don't think I enjoyed this volume as much as the last one. I don't have any notes about the Doom Patrol Archives Volume 3 but I did talk about it on Episode 59 of Dave Talks Comics. There's just one more volume of the Doom Patrol Archives to go. I have it but I will probably take a break before starting to read it. Hopefully it will be a much shorter break than I took between volumes 3 and 4.

No comments:
Post a Comment