Black Hammer 9
May 2017
The Ballad of Talky Walky
by Jeff Lemire, David Rubin
Colonel Weird stands over Talky Walky’s body and remembers how he met the creature known as TLK-E WLK-E. Randall Weird, years ago, before he became what he is now, received a distress call from a lifeless world. There was no organic life on that world but there was machine life. The machines he met wanted to kill him, with one exception: TLK-E WLK-E. It was Weird’s new friend who sent the distress call. He learned about Earth from transmissions of television shows that reached his planet. He desperately wants to escape. They fled together in Weird’s spaceship.
Weird goes down to laundry room in the midst of his thoughts. He is surprised to find Lucy Weber there. She’s looking for clues about where they are and how they got there. He mumbles something about being able to see the future. She gets very excited and starts asking him questions. He gets flustered and disappears.
The chapter ends by focusing on TLK-E WLK-E. It isn't dead. It’s consciousness seems to have been transferred into the rocket ship of Colonel Weird.
Thoughts
I love the look of this issue, especially the double page spreads that are set on TLK-E WLK-E’s planet. There is one moment with a giant sound effect that has images in the letters that I thought was great.
I also love how Colonel Weird was surprised to run into Lucy Weber. He is able to see things future and past when he travels through the Para Zone but this he didn’t foresee. It could be that he was too focused on what he just did to TLK-E WLK-E to remember what was about to happen.
This was another fun read. I’m really enjoying the journey but I hope this story leads somewhere.

No comments:
Post a Comment