Lazarus (2013) 7
Mar 2014
Lift (Part 3)
By Greg Rucka, Michael Lark, and Santi Arcas
Past
Forever and Marisol talk, before and after Marisol beats Forever with a cane. It is part of her training.
Present - Los Angeles
Forever interrogates Emma but the captive refuses to talk. She is defiant.
Johanna lends a hand with the interrogation. She plays good cop to Forever‘s bad cop. She all but promises Emma that she will no longer be Waste but will become a serf, an employee of the Carlyle Family.
Forever brings Sergeant Orioso, one of the guards from Harvest One, to Los Angeles. She promotes him to Captain and puts him in charge of the Los Angeles Garrison. She needs someone who isn’t already tainted. There have been a number of break-ins like the one she witnessed.
Present - Road to Denver
The Barrets continue their trek south, to Denver. The trip is uneventful until they are attacked by bandits. The group survives the attack but Leigh is killed and Joe is badly wounded. They probably wouldn’t have survived if it wasn’t for Casey who shot two of the bandits herself. Michael wasn’t very effective in the fight. They keep on trekking, eventually they encounter others, lots of others, who are also headed headed to Denver.
Thoughts
Forever’s talk with Marisol was chilling. I will be very surprised if the flashbacks in this arc don’t end with Forever killing Marisol.
There’s all kinds of good stuff to chew on here. I was surprised that Leigh was the one who bought it in the fight with the bandits. Maybe I should have expected it since she was clearly the more capable child of Joe and Bobbie.
I think Johanna is making promises to Emma that she won’t deliver on. Once the Carlyle Family has the information it needs all bets are off as to what Emma’s fate will be. Johanna’s promises are just a little too off the charts for her to be serious about delivering on them.
Captain Orioso has now seen Johanna coming out of the pool once. I’m betting that it won’t be the last time and that it foreshadows future events which will lead to his downfall in one manner or another.
This series really has me. I am going to have to buy and read more arcs beyond this one.

No comments:
Post a Comment