Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Lazarus (2013) 9

Lazarus (2013) 9
Jul 2014

Lift (Part 5)
By Greg Rucka, Michael Lark, and Santi Arcas

Past

Malcolm returns. Forever and Marisol fight with sharp edged swords, at Malcolm’s request. Forever wins but without killing Marisol.

Present

Michael and Casey get fast-tracked in the Lift testing process, thanks to the nuns. Sister Bernard gives them instructions. She tells them what to expect and how to behave if they want to have a chance at getting selected for Lift.

Forever and the Dagger teams continues to look for Angel, without success. Forever has another problem. Stephen Carlyle, her brother, isn’t being careful enough and sets up his team in a vulnerable spot. Security isn’t his concern. He’s more concerned about representing the Family.

Michael makes it through the testing process and is selected for Lift by the Carlyle Family. Casey gets rejected because according to tests she has a genetic predisposition for breast cancer. She inadvertently causes a distraction on her way out of the testing facility. Angel slips into a garage. Casey approaches him. He’s covered in explosives. He stabs her in the gut. He’s on a mission and determined that nothing will get in his way.

Angel makes his way towards the tent where Stephen is located. Angel gets there just as Forever is trying to escort Stephen to a safer location. She knows who he is and recognizes that the explosives are rigged with a deadman’s switch. If he lets go of the detonator it will go off.

Forever struggles to keep Angel from releasing the switch and takes him down at the same time. He damages her right eye with his free hand. The struggle ends when Casey stabs Angel in the back with the same knife he stabbed her.

Casey wakes up in a medical facility. Michael is there with her. She has been selected for Lift on the basis of merit.

Thoughts

I was disappointed by how the story of young Forever was resolved. I don’t think it was so much how it turned out as much as how the final installment of the story was told. It makes sense that Malcolm wouldn’t want her to kill Marisol. She is a valuable asset. It felt like this installment just didn’t carry the weight that the earlier ones did.

I was much more satisfied with the outcome of the story set in the present. It wasn’t exactly what I expected. It was both uplifting and tragic. What have Michael and Casey got themselves into?

This is the last issue that I own. I want to read more of this series. I will but I think this is as good a point as any to take a break and read something else from my pile of indie comic books that I have yet to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment