Mar 2025
Apocalypse Wow!
by Deniz Camp, Eric Zawadski, Jordie Bellaire, Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou
44 pages
Ashley lives in a time of crisis. The worlds is going to pieces. Weird things are happening. Her parents disappeared. She has no idea what happened to them. A company is filming a movie on her block. Vibrations from the set of the movie make the whole building shake. Her clock broke.
People from other times find themselves suddenly in the time and place where Ashley lives. She sometimes sees shadowy versions of people, versions that can’t be touched. Sometimes people she knows don’t recognize her.
Ashley gets alerts on her phone warning her about various things to avoid. Rifts sometimes appear out of nowhere. Ashley, distraught over what has become of her life, tries stepping into one of those voids, only to discover it isn’t what she thinks it is.
Ashley tries to get her clock repaired but no one seems interested in helping her. She gets beat up and arrested by the police for trying to help someone out. The line between reality and the filmmaking on her block gets blurred. She sees someone she knows get killed right in front of her eyes but has lost her grip on what is and what isn’t real.
Thoughts
This is an ongoing series but I’m not sure how long it will last. There are just nine issues out there as I write this in July 2026. This issue is the longest of the first five issues.
There’s an element of Crisis on Infinite Earths to this story and probably this series. I didn’t spot any superheroes or supervillains in this story, just ordinary folks. I don’t think readers need to be familiar with Crisis on Infinite Earths in order to enjoy reading this story. It reads a bit like an episode of the Twilight Zone.
This was good. I want to read more. The impression I get is that each issue of this series is a complete story but that it is more than just a collection of stories about a world in a state of crisis.
07/25/26 - 07:10

No comments:
Post a Comment