Mar 2002
The Golden Perfect - Part 1 of 3
by Joe Kelly, Doug Mahnke, Tom Nguyen, David Baron, Ken Lopez, Dan Raspler
Two Amazons fight a creature made of living rock. They put up a valiant effort but are overwhelmed as they battle to defend a third woman.
Wonder Woman spars with Martian Manhunter in the Watch Tower. He is still anguished over releasing the White Martians.
The two injured Amazons plus the woman they were defending are teleported up to the Watch Tower. Once Wonder Woman has learned what she can from them, she, plus her teammates (Superman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, Plastic Man) teleport to Jarhanpur.
Rama Khan, the ruler of Jarhanpur, explains that Ailani, the woman whom the two Amazons defended in Delhi, fled the country with her son, who is destined to be the next ruler of Jarjanpur. Rama Khan explains that if Ailani’s son does not become the next ruler then the entire country will suffer catastrophically.
Wonder Woman refuses to accept Rama Khan's assertion. A fight breaks out. Between the League and Rama Khan who possesses great powers. Wonder Woman uses her golden lasso to compel him to speak the truth and it turns out that Rama Khan is speaking the truth. The Golden Perfect, the golden lasso breaks.
Thoughts
This wasn't quite as choppy a read as the previous issue. Things start to come together fairly quickly.
Good read but I am left with questions. Why did the Golden Perfect break? How long has it been known by that name?
Notes
Reading this story now, for the first time in over 20 years, I am definitely conscious of the fact that there is at least one reference made to something that happened in issues that I have not read. There are no editor’s notes to help explain it. I am referring to the conversation between Wonder Woman and Jonn J’onzz early in this issue. Based on my research I think that it must be a reference to events that occurred in JLA (1997) 55-58.
According to one source, the two Amazons are Eudia and Venelia. Wonder Woman does address Eudia by name but I fail to see Venelia’s name in this issue. According to that same source both of these Amazons appeared just the month before in Wonder Woman (1987) 177 (Feb 2002). I skimmed through that issue which is included in Wonder Woman: A Celebration of 75 Years. I don’t own that collection but it is available on Hoopla. I couldn’t find any sign of either Eudia or Venelia in that story.
The two Amazons are representatives of a foundation that Wonder Woman runs. I don’t really know anything about that foundation. It might have something to do with the events in Wonder Woman (1987) 177.

No comments:
Post a Comment