Thursday, November 30, 2017

b-one comics magazine vol. 2 #1

b-one comics magazine vol. 2 #1
Sep 2008

by Bobgar Ornelas and Paul "Wheels" Ortiz

Most of this issue is part of the ongoing stories called Stonebrook Tales. Chivo and "Iron" Manuel are the main characters. I think they are in high school. Chivo has dark hair and a goatee. Manuel has blond hair. They hang out, screw around, and drink beer. Manuel needs some help studying for a test for his art history class. Chivo tries to help him but Manuel isn't very attentive. The next day he sleeps in and misses the test.

There are some weird surrealistic interludes throughout the book. I don't think they are connected to Stonebrook Tales by anything other than physical proximity.

Melii and Stace are the protagonists of the last bit of the book. Stace has most of her head shaved in what looks like a thin floppy Mohawk. On one of the few colored pages the Mohawk is multicolored. Melii wears a dress but Stace is dressed in jeans and a hoodie. Melii has a crush on one of the guys but it isn't clear just yet which of the guys it is. The guys keep yelling "shark" for no apparent reason. Might be part of a drinking game. Once the women get close enough to see what the guys are up to they lose interest and take off.

So far I like. I like the pacing and the general relaxed feel of the book. The interludes are a nice change of pace. I don't really understand them but they feel like little experiments, scribbles, doodles, half formed ideas.

I bought the first 7 issues in a digital bundle from King Bone Press. I paid $7 but I think you can get them all for as little as $5.

Gum Road: https://gumroad.com/kingbonepress

No comments:

Post a Comment